Vets in Hitchin have saved the life of a dog after the beloved pet swallowed a 14cm-long wooden kebab skewer.

Two-year-old French Bulldog Milo was rushed to Linnaeus-owned Davies Veterinary Specialists, where he underwent a complex bi-cavitary operation to remove the skewer that had been lodged inside his stomach for a staggering two weeks.

The skewer had also perforated the stomach wall, liver, diaphragm, a lung lobe and the pericardium - the sac that contains the heart - ending up in his chest and lodged over the heart.

The Comet: Krizia performed a complex operation to remove the skewer.Krizia performed a complex operation to remove the skewer. (Image: Davies Veterinary Specialists)

Thankfully, the operation was a success, with Krizia Compagnone, soft tissue surgeon at Davies, saying: "It was shocking to find such a big foreign body in a small dog like Milo.

"The operation was also challenging because it required bi-cavitary surgery, which means more than one cavity needed to be opened to remove the foreign body and repair the tissues that were damaged.

READ MORE: Hour-by-hour forecast as hottest day of the year predicted

"There was also infection to deal with as the kebab skewer had been inside him for two weeks making him progressively unwell, ultimately causing him breathing difficulties.

"However, we managed to retrieve the stick safely and debride the infected tissues that had thickened and wrapped the stick along its way.

The Comet: The skewer after it was removed.The skewer after it was removed. (Image: Davies Veterinary Specialists)

"The great news is that Milo had an outstanding recovery following the operation. Less than two weeks after surgery, his owners reported that he is back to his normal self and is playful and cheeky."

Andrés Salas García, resident in internal medicine at Davies, added: "Unfortunately, removal of sticks from dogs is not as unusual as we would like.

"Milo’s case was unique due to the involvement of two body cavities, the abdomen and thorax, as the stick had migrated from the stomach to the vital organs in the chest, luckily without causing major damages that could have costed his life."

The Comet: Milo's CT scan shows the skewer lodge inside his body.Milo's CT scan shows the skewer lodge inside his body. (Image: Davies Veterinary Specialists)