A vet in Stevenage is warning dog owners to avoid a park in the town after they treated two pets that had "eaten something potentially toxic".

Roebuck Veterinary Group is asking people to avoid walking their dogs in and around Chells Park, after two dogs were admitted to their practice in Great Ashby.

They are also asking anyone who notices their dog being "quiet, lethargic or wobbly", to contact them immediately.

"Please do not walk your dogs in or around Chells Park, including the woods," read a post on their Facebook page. 

"We’ve had two dogs come into the Great Ashby practice who have eaten something potentially toxic. Please avoid this area.

"If you notice your dog is experiencing symptoms such as quiet, lethargic, wobbly then please contact your vet’s immediately."

Herts police have been contacted for comment.