A vet in Stevenage suspects "human faecal matter" is behind the poisoning of two dogs in Chells Park.

Roebuck Veterinary Group asked people to avoid walking their dogs in and around Chells Park yesterday, after two dogs who had "eaten something potentially toxic" were admitted to their practice in Great Ashby.

In an update, the vet confirmed they believe the incidents were not a deliberate act, but that "human faecal matter" was the suspected cause.

"This not believed to be on purpose. We believe the content is potentially faecal matter with an unknown substance within.

"We’re suspicious it could be human faecal matter.

"Other practices within the area are also treating dogs with similar cases.

"Please can we assure you all not to panic but be cautious. Both dogs in our care are doing well."