Concerning revelations have been made about previous gas leaks at a school in Stevenage, after three people were hospitalised with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

One member of staff and two children were rushed to Lister Hospital on Wednesday after a major incident at Martins Wood Primary School, which saw panicking parents attempting to climb fences to get to their children.

A further six adults and nine children were assessed at the scene, with stunned pupils leaving the school crying, with sick bowls and draped in paramedics blankets.

In a letter to parents, which has been seen by the Comet, the school has claimed that tests carried out on the three people taken to hospital show "no evidence of carbon monoxide", and they believe all three incidents are "unrelated".

But, a spokesperson for Ivy Learning Trust, which runs the school, has made concerning revelations about previous gas leaks at the Mildmay Road site.

"There were two previous gas leaks at Martins Wood Primary School," the spokesperson told this newspaper.

"One in 2022, before the school joined Ivy Learning Trust, and a further one in 2023. On both occasions the school was temporarily closed for one day.

"Remedial works have since been carried out to replace a valve and there have been no further gas leaks on the premises.

"The systems were checked again by a Gas Safe Registered heating engineer yesterday."