Hitchin Town have briefly jumped up to third in the Southern League Premier Division Central table after a good home win over AFC Sudbury.

They will slip down one spot following the conclusion of Redditch United's clash with Halesowen Town on Monday but could jump back up there when they go to Stratford Town on Tuesday.

This 2-1 win at Top Field, courtesy of a first-half penalty from Finley Wilkinson and a 59th-minute strike from Jack Snelus means they have lost just one of the last seven league games, that the late defeat by the same score at Bromsgrove Sporting last time out.

It was a well-deserved success for the Canaries too.

They create a number of good opportunities in the first period with Brad Bell, Daniel Idiakhoa and Wilkinson all getting a sight of the target before being denied by defender or keeper.

It appeared as if they would be frustrated until the final moments, Wilkinson sending the spot-kick into the corner past the outstretched hand of James Bradbrook.

The second half was a little more even but Snelus gave them the buffer with a fine run, cutting in from the left across the edge of the area, before hitting it inside the near post.

It was needed too as the Suffolk side pulled a goal back 16 minutes from time, former St Albans City and Biggleswade Town forward, Joe Neal, converting a penalty of their own after a foul by Ciaren Jones.

But despite seven minutes of added time, Hitchin hung on to claim the points.

Their scheduled away game on November 18 at Stourbridge has been postponed following the Glassboys' FA Trophy win on Saturday.

A new date will be announced soon.

Stotfold had a week off in Division One Central, staying ninth in the table and three points off the play-off places, but there were games for both Arlesey Town and Baldock Town in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

The Reds missed the chance to close the gap on the top sides as they lost 2-1 at home to Biggleswade United.

They had lead at the break, Newman Carney pouncing when the ball was spilled from a corner, but United, who ended the day top places above Baldock in fifth, came back in the second period.

Jake Stronge equalised three minutes in with a fine run down the right before cutting inside to score, and they collected the three points when the same man converted a penalty seven minutes from time, 

Arlesey meanwhile battled to a 2-2 draw away to Harpenden Town.

Rory Busby put them in front on 10 minutes and he did so again 12 minutes from time after Kyle Rahho had equalised.

However, an 89th-minute goal from the prolific James Ewington meant they returned to New Lamb Meadow with just a point.

Manager Nick Brown was still disappointed even if he felt the draw was probably the fairest result.

Speaking on Twitter, he said: "I'm absolutely gutted not to come away with all three points but with their first-half dominance and ours in the second, it was probably a fair result.

"We have to analyse and learn and be better next week."

In Division One, Letchworth played out a 1-1 draw at Pixmore against Huntingdon Town, William Blair with the goal.