Baldock Town produced arguably one of the performances of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division season as they gained a point against runaway leaders Real Bedford.

The Reds drew 2-2 with the cash-rich side who still have an eight-point advantage at the top, although they have now played two games more than nearest challengers MK Irish.

Both sides will think they should and possibly could have won the battle at New Lamb Meadow.

Joe Evans had put the visitors in front in the first half but a youthful Baldock, complete with four 16-year-olds and an average age of 20, roared back in the second period.

A Malaki Black corner found the back of the net on 51 minutes before Jamie Breen swept home a low effort at the back post 20 minutes later.

The lead lasted just two minutes though as Ben Stevens equalised and then Bedford were denied an injury-time winner when 18-year-old David Archer saved a penalty.

The Comet: Finley Wilkinson makes a run after a bouncing ball for Hitchin against Kettering. Picture: PETER ELSEFinley Wilkinson makes a run after a bouncing ball for Hitchin against Kettering. Picture: PETER ELSE (Image: Peter Else)

Hitchin Town's miserable sequence continued though with a 1-0 loss to Kettering Town in the Southern League Premier Division Central.

It was a sixth straight loss and a seventh game without a win, sending them tumbling down to 11th, 10 points from the play-off positions.

It was a result that left manager Mark Burke frustrated.

He said: "I am disappointed really because we trained well this week. We trained with a bit of intensity and I was looking forward to the game but unfortunately, we didn't bring it. 

"First half we weren't at it and I think the lack of confidence shone through. 

"When you go on these little runs, confidence does drain and it was certainly evident [against Kettering]. 

"Just too many misplaced passes and it didn't click at all.  

"At half-time we said that they had to be brave, get on the ball and play and we did to a certain extent. 

"But then we had too many safe options, like keeping the ball in your own half and we didn't lay a glove on them.  

"We had one chance but it was pushed over the bar. 

"Just before half-time, [Finley Wilkinson] would normally score that but he's been out and is maybe a little bit rusty. 

"If they goes in, we go in at 1-1 and it might be different. 

"But we weren't good enough today and as I say, it’s disappointing as I thought we’d do a lot better. 

"We've got to go back the drawing board, we can't feel sorry ourselves. We have to get it right on Saturday away to Barwell." 

Down in SSML Division One, Letchworth Eagles lost 4-2 away to Buckingham.

They were 2-0 down at the break but fought back through Austin Christie and Rory Gilham before Buckingham bagged another two goals to take the points.

And in Division Two, Codicote missed the change to close in on the top two places with a 2-2 draw at Totternhoe.

Liam Hayden and Sean McMonagle got the goals that leaves them 10 points behind leaders AFC Welwyn having played two games less.

Both Arlesey Town and Stotfold were without games on Saturday.